Shakuma Raregroove (シャクマ・レアグローブ Shakuma Reargurōbu), known to most simply as Shakuma, was the world's mightiest sorcerer and the former king of the Raregroove Kingdom. He was the master of Demon Card's Haja the Infinite, the father of Gale Raregroove, and the grandfather of Lucia Raregroove. He allied himself with Demon Card as part of Demon Card's Project DR: The Dark Rendezvous
Shakuma has long, wavy, blonde hair and an extremely long beard extending down well past his shoulders. His eyes are usually pupil-less, but when he uses magic, his eyes gain four circles surrounding a small iris. However, in times of dire situations, he gains small light colored irises. He has pointed ears and a long face. He also has a tattoo, which stretches over both eyebrows, consisting of four black circles decreasing in size and long upward swirls at the bridge of his nose.
His first outfit consisted of a dark cloak with tattered edges and a light colored band. Underneath the cloak he wore dark, baggy pants, and boots with pointed tips. He also wore small light-colored bracelets around his wrists.
His second outfit consists of a well-tattered, plain dark cloak and the same (or similar) baggy pants. His shoes are of a simpler design and he no longer wears the bracelets around his wrists.
Shakuma was normally a calm, serious, and quiet individual. He rarely spoke and rarely expressed emotion. He was a single-minded individual, willing to do anything that his grandson, Lucia Raregroove, would have him do. During battle, he was normally calm and collected, which allowed him to maintain the upper hand in battle.
Shakuma held a deep hatred for the Symphonian Royal Family, especially Malakia, whom he placed a curse on to kill. This hatred extended to Malakia’s acquaintances and family, including Resha Valentine and Haru Glory, both of whom he tried to kill. Upon realizing that Resha Valentine had survived the destruction of Symphonia, Shakuma’s personality underwent a dramatic change, showing him as the insane, evil man he truly was. His attacks became more desperate and he revealed details of his past with depraved delight. He also tried to goad Elie into releasing the full power of Etherion, hoping to create an Overdrive-like effect.
However, upon being confronted with Elie’s Etherion attacks, Shakuma began to fear for his life. He was willing to use others as human shields and expressed great fear at being confronted with someone greater than himself. Ultimately, upon his death, he remained defiant as ever, expressing pride in killing Malakia and expressing great confidence in Lucia’s abilities.
Several years after Overdrive, Shakuma placed a curse on Malakia Symphonia Glory V, the former King of Symphonia. He watched Malakia suffer for an extremely long time, before visiting Malakia at his deathbed. While there, Malakia smiled at Shakuma upon his deathbed, the meaning of which would be lost to Shakuma until nearly 50 years later.
At some point, Shakuma took Haja in as his disciple, and taught him magic.
Star Vestige arc
At some point following Lucia’s ascension to power in Demon Card, Lucia sent Haja the Infinite, Shakuma’s former student, to recruit Shakuma for Demon Card's Project DR: The Dark Rendezvous. At this point, Shakuma had secluded himself near a waterfall. Haja came and begged Shakuma to lend Lucia his power.
However, Shakuma only agreed to come see Lucia to find out if he was truly the one to end the existence of the “false world”. Upon meeting Lucia, Shakuma allied himself with Demon Card, remarking that his meeting with Lucia was predestined.
Following the defeat of Jegan, Shakuma and Haja traveled to Wrist Dome to kill Jegan who have failed in his mission to kill the Rave Warriors recently. Using Ancient Forbidden Magic: Sehma, Shakuma laid waste to Wrist Dome, destroying the city and killing most of the inhabitants, included Jegan and Jana. Shakuma’s power was enough to awe his student. Shakuma and Haja then left, having obtained Last Physics, the fourth piece of Sinclaire.
Elie's Memory arc
Following the creation of Dark Bring: Endless, Lucia sent Shakuma to eliminate the Rave Warriors and the remaining Mildian mages. Shakuma quickly caught up with the Air Mildian, Mildian’s fastest ship after its departure from the Delhalia Mountains, surprising and terrifying the occupants.
After the Air Mildian teleported to Symphonia, Shakuma quickly followed suit, using Teleportation Magic to teleport above the Air Mildian. His power terrified all the occupants of the ship. While they were occupied, Shakuma prepared his spell while remarking upon the falseness of the world. He then cast Ancient Forbidden Magic: Sehma, calling down several meteorites to assault the Air Mildian.
After they avoided Sehma, Shakuma called forth his next spell, Ancient Forbidden Magic: Varuna in an attempt to destroy the ship. However, Belnika unconsciously released a blast of magic which dispelled the attack. Slightly surprised by the unknown mage, Shakuma nevertheless continued his assault with Lightning Magic and Sehma, trying to destroy the ship.
Following Haru and Elie’s return from the past, Shakuma faced off against several of the Rave Warriors and Mildian Mages riding on Rune Wings. He was able to fend off and dodge the various attacks with ease. Growing annoyed with the fighters, he created a massive explosion around himself, which incapacitated the fighters. At that moment, he noticed Elie’s surge in magic and flew towards Resha’s grave.
Arriving at Resha’s grave, he remarked to Haru that he was sent to kidnap the “Etherion Girl” for Lucia. He warned Elie to move; when she didn't, he destroyed Sieg Hart’s skeleton to cause a reaction. Upon Haru’s outburst, he remarked that everything, including the skeleton is false. His comments caused Elie’s Etherion to surge forward, shocking Shakuma.
Elie shot a large blast of Etherion at Shakuma, which Shakuma to create a barrier to protect himself. He managed to escape mostly unscathed, and continued with counterattacks, finally creating a large blast of magical power which he shot at Elie. When she repelled it, Shakuma added more power to his attack, causing Elie to state that she won’t let him destroy Symphonia any more. He laughed at her comment, remarking that Symphonia doesn't exist anymore. Upon her revelation that she was born there, Shakuma finally realized that Elie is Resha Valentine and was horrified by the revelation.
Distracted by the revelation, Elie’s magic overtook him, causing him serious injury. However, Shakuma stood up and revealed to Elie and Haru that he was the one who killed Malakia. When Elie’s power bursts through due to her anger, he took the opportunity to attack her, gleefully mocking her about her control over Etherion. When he demands she kill him, Elie backs down, and he exclaims that she must be scared of her power getting out of control.
Threatening to kill her unless Elie unleashes her power, Shakuma lamented that Malakia, Resha, and Shiba’s interference 50 years ago set back his plans. Noting that the destruction of Sinclaire drastically reduced the power of Overdrive, he bemoaned the fact that Overdrive only killed 2 million people, instead of destroying the whole false world. When questioned by Haru, he revealed his identity as Shakuma Raregroove, Lucia’s grandfather and the father of King.
Shakuma released Elie and engaged in a short battle with Haru, in which he swiftly overpowers him. He mocked Haru’s skills and remarked that he has no attachment to the world, statng that it’s only a “game prior to oblivion”. These comments enrage Elie, whose power begins to overflow. The Elie Village Crest suddenly appears on her arm, greatly shocking Shakuma. However, he quickly turned joyful again, demanding Elie release her power and destroy the world.
He was shocked when Elie unleashes a condensed shot of Etherion, remarking that in her current emotional state, she should have no control over her power. He then used Hair Magic to grab Haru and put him into the line of Etherion blast. Following Haru's supposed death, Shakuma cackled until he saw that Haru had used his sword to grab the shot of Etherion, and cried out that no sword should have the ability to use that much magic. Haru then fired the Etherion shot at Shakuma, fatally injuring him.
As Elie and Haru reunite, Shakuma lay defeated on the ground. Standing up, he commented that the fight between Glory and Raregroove just got interesting. When asked if he was the mastermind behind Demon Card, Shakuma laughed and told Haru that Lucia didn't even know his true identity. He took one last moment to call the world fake, and mentioned the upcoming fated battle between Glory and Raregroove, noting that it would be the final showdown among the two families. With a final laugh, Shakuma died, dissolving into a puddle.
Many of Shakuma's actions throughout his life would have lasting implications, from the Symphonian War all the way to the attempted destruction of the false world. His attack on the Air Mildian was a major factor in Haru declaring his oath that no one would be allowed to die in the final battle against Lucia. Lucia, upon being informed of Shakuma's death, showed no sadness, instead referring to him as a "useless old man", though he noted that it was due to Shakuma (and the whole world) being fake.
Powers and Abilities
Shakuma was an extremely powerful sorcerer, having earned the title of World's Mightiest Sorcerer during his lifetime. Despite his advanced age, he was able to easily defeat several Rave Warriors and was able to fight on nearly equal terms with the second Rave Master, Haru Glory, and a fully-powered Resha Valentine.
Shakuma was extremely adept at several different kinds of magic. He taught Demon Card's Haja the Infinite, an extremely powerful sorcerer in his own right, everything that he knew. He was extremely skilled in Ancient Forbidden Magic and could perform impressive feats of magic with ease.
- Ancient Forbidden Magic: A type of magic using spells that were long ago lost or forbidden. Shakuma used it mostly to control various natural disasters, such as meteor strikes and tidal waves. Shakuma’s skill with this magic allows him to easily destroy the protected Wrist Dome and assault the Air Mildian on Symphonia. The magic uses several hand gestures and hand seals to create powerful magical attacks.
- Ancient Forbidden Magic: Sehma: After forming several seals with his hands, Shakuma extends one arm to the side and the other to the sky to call down a rain of meteors. This attack is powerful enough to destroy the protected city, Wrist Dome. Haja, Shakuma’s disciple, was awestruck by the attack, noting that “[m]y master can control even the heavens!”. Also referred to as Sealed Away Space Magic: Meteorite Shower.
- Ancient Forbidden Magic: Varuna: Shakuma extends his arms forward and summons a gigantic tidal wave to cause massive devastation. While its full power is unknown, as Belnika was able to dissipate the spell, Shakuma was surprised that someone was able to stop it, suggesting that it was an extremely powerful spell.
- Ancient Forbidden Magic: Lightning: Shakuma raises two index fingers to his face and two into the air to summon a large bolt of lightning from the sky. It was able to cause significant damage to the Air Mildian, regarded as one of the strongest ships in the world. (Unnamed)
- Ancient Forbidden Magic: Eruption: Shakuma points at an enemy and creates several large eruptions of magic from under the earth. It’s full power is unknown, as Musica and Belnika were able to dodge it. (Unnamed)
- Ancient Forbidden Magic: Blast: Shakuma extends one arm behind his head and points with two fingers at the target and creates a large explosion around himself. It was powerful enough to injure and incapacitate several Rave Warriors and destroy their Rune Wing in the process. (Unnamed)
- Flight Magic: Allows the user to fly through the air. Shakuma is extremely adept at this form of magic, able to keep with Mildian’s fastest ship and is able to effortlessly dodge several Rune Wings. Shakuma seemingly uses his staff for flight. It is unknown if this is an innate power of the staff or if it is Shakuma’s own power.
- Teleportation Magic: Allows the user to quickly warp between two places. It is described as bending the distance between the two to allow for faster travel. Shakuma is noted to be an extremely proficient user of Teleportation Magic. While it took most of the magical energy of over a dozen of Mildian’s greatest sorcerers to warp Symphonia, Shakuma was able to do so by himself, without expending much magic power. Shakuma’s prowess with it was enough to shock Miltz, one of Mildian’s most powerful mages.
- Defensive Magic: Shakuma is able to create a dark, transparent spherical barrier around himself to protect him from magical attacks. It is strong enough to completely protect him from a powerful blast of Etherion.
- Curses: Shakuma was able to place an unknown curse on Malakia Symphonia Glory V, which slowly robbed him of his health and left him in great pain, eventually killing him.
- Hair Magic: Shakuma is able to use Hair Magic to extend his own hair and grab people and objects. He used it quickly and effectively to grab Haru Glory to place him in the path of a blast of Elie’s Etherion.
- Weapons Expert: In addition to being the world’s greatest sorcerer, Shakuma was extremely adept at armed combat. Using his staff in tandem with his magic, he was able to overpower the second Rave Master, Haru Glory.
- High Durability: Shakuma is very durable, able to take hits from extremely powerful magic attacks and still have the strength to fight. After being hit by Elie's fully powered Etherion blast, he was able to not only incapacitate Elie, but was able to fight and overpower the second Rave Master, Haru Glory.
- Immense Speed: Shakuma is extremely fast, able to catch up with some of the fastest ships in the world. He combines his speed with his great reflexes to easily dodge several attacks unharmed.
- Immense Reflexes: Shakuma had very keen reflexes. Despite his advanced age, he is able to fight unscathed against several Rave Warriors and Mildian mages, simultaneously dodging their attacks and counterattacking to great effect, some without even looking at the opponents.
- Immense Magic Power: As the world’s most powerful sorcerer, Shakuma had an immense magical power. He was capable of extremely powerful feats of magic; he was able to teleport by himself with little trouble, a feat that required a group of over a dozen of Mildian’s best mages to do. He is also capable of using several extremely powerful spells in succession, with no incantation, to great effect.
- Magic Staff: Shakuma carries a long, wooden staff with three swirls at the end. While he primarily used it for flight and magic, he used it as a weapon in his fight with the Second Rave Master, Haru Glory.
- Ancient Forbidden Magic: Sehma would later appear as a spell in Hiro Mashima's follow-up work, Fairy Tail, used by Jellal Fernandes as part of his Heavenly Body Magic.
|Oración Seis||Haja • Jegan • Berial • Deep Snow|
|Guardians of the Gate||Ltiangle • Racas • Rionette • Ron Glace|
|Minor Members||Feber • Georco • Zashippe • Branch • Shuda's Subordinate|
|Left||Gale Glory • Shuda • Bis • Rosa • Go • Let Dahaka • Julius • Sopra • Range • Sieg Hart|
|Deceased||Gale Raregroove (Commander) • Poosya • Rugar • Reina|